Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Social Network

So it looks like we have a front runner--the Social Network cleaned up at the Golden Globes, winning Best picture (Drama), Best director, Best Screenplay and Best Score. Is this momentum going to continue through the SAG awards, and then on to the Oscars??

As I sat through the opening dialog between Zuckerberg and his girlfriend, I was nervous that I was going to get exhausted from how spitfire the dialog was flying at me. It was definitely difficult to get used to the fast pace, but Sorkin's intelligent dialog is the movies strong suit. Sure, at times it felt a little like the Gilmore Girls, but the fast pace was what kept the audience invested. Nobody thought a story about the creation of facebook would be too riveting a story-- but Mark Zuckerberg, the Winklevoss twins, and Eduardo Saverin definitely made some entertaining characters to build a movie around. How accurate was the story? Probably not even a little bit.

It was hard not to get a bit nostalgic in the early scenes of the movie as the idea for a website like facebook was hatched, and to think about how awesome it was to be able to join such an elite network once we got to college. Of course that exclusivity is gone now, but I think the movie did well showing the path that the website took.

As mentioned above, the character portrayals were awesome--and from almost completely unknown actors. Jesse Eisenberg should not have been nominated for a Golden Globe for it, but his performance was hilarious (although not a lot different from his previous roles?). Pretty sure Andrew garfield stole the show...and I can't wait to see him as the new spiderman. I think that Josh Pence as the hateable Winklevoss was perfect though. I enjoyed most of the performances in the entire movie, except Justin Timberlake as Sean Parker. Timberlake was playing himself--there wasn't a second he was on screen that I really thought he was acting as somebody else.

On a completely separate note, I love that Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails wrote the score, and further more, that he won the Golden Globe for it. I thought the score was awesome, and hope he gets the oscar too.

Overall, I guess I am not surprised that the movie took the Golden Globe...It undoubtedly felt like one of the more intelligent and whole movies of the group (although I have yet to see the Kings Speech), and although I would have loved to have seen Black Swan win, it was definitely too artsy. With great writing, an fresh cast (despite Timberlake), and a awesome score, It was pretty good all around.

My Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment